Saturday, February 23, 2013

"Now and Then"....LitWorld's World Read Aloud Day Blogging Challenge Week 2

For week 2 of LitWorld's World Read Aloud Day Blogging Challenge, we were to think about reading and books in two different times of our life.

This was the challenge and my answers....

Now and Then 

Answer the following questions twice.  The first time, answer how you would have when you were 10 years old (or any age from elementary school that you remember clearly) and for the second time, answer in the present.  

1.  I think everyone in the world should read...

When I was 10:  I think that everyone in the world should read anything by Judy Blume.  I fell in love with Blubber, Are Your There God It's Me Margaret, Deenie, and then eventually her books for young adult too.  Also, I thought everyone should read Where The Wild Things Are.

Now:  I think everyone in the world should read Wonder by R.J. Palacio.  By reading this book everyone will see that just one act of kindness can make an impact.  And of course I still think everyone should read Where The Wild Things Are.  

2.  If I could listen to anyone in the world read aloud to me it would be...

When I was 10:  My Grandma Hazel or my mom.  I loved riding my bike down to my Grandma's house. Sometimes I would bring a book with me, but she had several of my favorites that I loved too.  And my mom....I loved it when my mom read to my sister, brother, and I.  She read with different voices and the same books over and over again.

Now:  I would love to listen to my Grandma read to me right now...I would do anything to hear her read to me just one more time.  She passed away last year.  She was almost 101.  I am just so thankful that I got to enjoy her reading to my daughter Brianna and sons Brady and Hagan when they were little.  I will never forget that memory.

3.  When I read aloud, my favorite character to impersonate is...

When I was 10...I loved to read Dr. Seuss books and impersonate him.

Now...I can't really pick just one favorite character to impersonate.  I love reading aloud and it is fun to impersonate all of the characters in the books.

4.  The genre that takes up the most room on my bookshelf and Nook is...

When I was 10... Realistic and historical fiction, along with fun and beautiful picture books, took up most room on my bookshelf.  And our Childcraft Encyclopedia set did too.

Now...Realistic and historical fiction still takes up the most room on my bookshelf.  I love collecting picture books too.

5.  The last book I wish I'd written or inspired me to write my own story is...

When I was 10...I wish I'd written Little House on the Prairie books, because I would have loved to have the life Laura did.  My sister and I always wanted to be Laura and Mary.

Now...I wish I had written The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books so I could make my 7-year-old Hagan laugh even more every day.  He has been reading the entire series for the last couple of months and just can't get enough of them.  He tells me all of the funny little things that happen....it makes me smile.  My son Brady also loved reading them too.

World Read Aloud Day is right around the corner on March 6th.  We hope you will all join us in celebrating literacy.  Please register for World Read Aloud Day and bring your children, family, students, teachers, friends, parents, community, network, workplace, church, and world along.

We can't wait to hear how you are going to celebrate.  You can connect with LitWorlds on Twitter at #litworldsays and by using the hashtag #WRAD13 for World Read Aloud Day.

It's time for all of us to join the global literacy movement.  We can all make a difference.

And reading aloud to the ones we connect with everyday is one way to make this difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment